Wednesday, October 3, 2007

on top of a mountain

*All photos courtesy of Chris Orbit*
Over the weekend, I went to Oktoberfest. It was at a ski resort called Snow Bird about half an hour outside of SLC. It snowed on Saturday, so the canyon on the way up was absolutely breathtaking. The mountains were all snowcapped, and the trees still had snow on the branches, though it was melting off steadily. The constant drip misted as it hit the ground, making the whole scene look like a winter wonderland.





The best part of the fest was the music. There were several traditional bands playing some lovely little tunes. I felt like I was in another time period. All the older couples were completely in costume, and they knew all the moves to fit the music. Unfortunately they were all partner dances, and I had no partner, so I could not participate. I was very sad. However, watching these people was so incredible. There was one man in particular who made me grin from ear to ear. He was enjoying himself to the utmost. He did not stop dancing the entire time (a man of my own heart, for certain). He was smiling and sweating and busting these moves... I can't even explain it. I just know that I felt some great energy here, and I can only hope to be as vibrant when I get older.
So, here's to October. And to Oktober. And to Fests in general. Life is a fest. We should all be sweating from the pure joy of the dance.
















1 comment:

Chris said...

It was a fun day. We should go to Moab next. ;)