Monday, February 18, 2008

on the crème de la crème

So, life as a nanny. It's different here than it was in Mass. At least there, I was also teaching preschool, and the neighborhood where I worked was just a normal part of town, and James and I did normal things like walk around town, go to the library, and get ice cream at Bart's. Well, it's not like that at all here. And it's especially different taking care of a 4 month old versus a 4 year old. Don't get me wrong, I ADORE Gavin, and my job. I can't help, however, but laugh at the whole scenario. The neighborhood where I work is a gated estate community which houses the crème de la crème. It consists, in large part, of very well-to-do retirees. This particular neighborhood is complete with golf course, country club style, pool house, hot tubs, tennis courts, and any other service you may require, including golf carts and towels on hand so you never have to bring your own. As I push Gavin around the neighborhood in his stroller, I encounter a million nosy neighbors who stop me to coo at Gavin in hoarse high pitched voices and no respect for the fact that he's sleeping. I hear older couples at the pool whose biggest dilemma in life is whether they should take a half hour tennis lesson or an hour golf lesson. It's just impossible to decide. And I guess very few people work in this community, because, besides the obviously retired folk, there are tons of people out golfing and swimming everyday, in the middle of the day. It's interesting. It's a beautiful area, but it's so detached from the rest of the world. It's almost like working at a resort. I find myself constantly amused by this, and while I adore working there, I know I will never have the means nor the desire to lead a life such as theirs. I'm a different species of human being. The house where Gavin lives is incredibly nice. Huge, clean, beautiful, and complete with all the amenities. They have a pool with a waterfall, patio furniture that's nicer than any furniture I've ever had inside a house, outdoor kitchen area, etc.... My Saturday job is quite the same. Gated community. Large house. Pool. Incredible everything. It's a really interesting experience for me to work in places that are nicer than anywhere I have ever or will ever live myself. It's a taste of a life immensely different than my own, where no one ever has to do without. I am grateful for the opportunity to experience these things, to see life from this perspective. Most importantly, it makes me appreciate my own position much more. Here, where I work 6 days a week and still just barely have enough to pay my bills. Here, where I eat cheap and sit on camping chairs. Here, where I dry my clothes at the laundry mat and buy my ramen noodles on sale, I am grateful. It's easy to appreciate the little things, here where I don't have to struggle over decisions about golf lessons. I wouldn't trade my life for theirs for anything in the world. That is what I am learning, here in the desert. Where the weather and the plants and the scenery are a drug to me. This place gets inside my blood and shifts my perspective. I am full of sunshine and gratitude and the joy of having a little baby in my arms everyday while still having the nights all to myself. :) Oh, happy day.

No comments: