Tuesday, August 25, 2009

on performing in Pittsburgh

This past weekend was the event I had been dedicating all of my time, energy, and money to preparing for during the past several months. Christa and I (Saguaro Belly Co) were invited to perform at Electrobelly (an electronic dance show) in Pittsburgh, and we decided to go for it. Even though we live 6 hours apart, we love dancing with each other so much (we are dance soul mates) that we couldn't resist. So after hours and hours of driving to see each other, thousands of miles on our cars, tons of gas and hotel money, and even more time than we actually had taken up with sewing, planning, dancing, and more dancing, we finally were able to make it worth our while. (A not so on the side MAJOR thanks to our wicked awesome understanding boyfriends.)

We both departed from our respective cities on Friday pre-noon. We arrived in Houston within an hour of one another--- and in the same hour as the weather turned sour. Our flight was supposed to depart at 6 something, but all flights in the area were grounded until further notice. They kept pushing our flight back by 15 or 30 minute increments. But at least we were together because I swear that was the most fun I've ever had in an airport. We attempted a little airport barhopping, but after one $12 glass of wine, we settled in our corner, listened to some tunes, did our nails, did some discreet practicing, etc. The flight finally left after 9.

Needless to say, we arrived in Pittsburgh around 1:30 a.m. Saturday (the day of our show). Wonderful Amythest and her beau met us at the airport and drove us back to her place. We stayed up several more hours talking and eating the most delicious vegan pizza I've ever had.

After sleeping about 5 hours, we were up and rehearsing. Nailing out some kinks, stretching, getting our costumes ready, etc. We were at teh venue by 3. Unfortunately the venu failed to provide certain things (such as a big enough dressing room- or even a light in the room). But we managed to improvise. After breaking for a while for a walk along the strip, where there was a sort of street market going on, some chai, and some fresh air, we returned to begin the long process of getting ready.

I have to say that I've never met so many genuine people at a dance performance ever. Usually the dance scene is full of people with attitude problems, narcissism, and a general distaste for being nice, friendly, helpful, or supportive. That's why I don't much care to get involved with lots of dance troupes and/or teachers. I dance for my love of dance, and to SHARE that with others. Most of the dancers I meet dance to prove that they are BETTER dancers than everyone else who dances. This is why I love dancing with Christa so much. We dance for the same reasons, we LOVE it. And we want everyone to love it. And we want everyone to dance. So when I say that the dancers I met in Pittsburgh were unbelievable, I really mean it. Every single one of them was SO nice, so beautiful, so supportive, so positive, and such a good and unique dancer. I could clearly see that they shared my love of dance, and my desire to share and learn from other people on some fundamental level. There were no attitudes and no negativity. I wasn't nervous at all because there were so many positive vibes cradling every one the second they hit the stage. Wow. I really loved that.

So, the dance aspect of the show went really well. We had a blast, rocked out, made friends, and the crowd seemed to love it as well. There were some other technical issues of the show, such as the venue issues, and compensation issues that didn't work out how I'd hoped, but over all it was worth it. Caution Crew- a breathtaking breakdance troupe performed in the final act. It was pretty kickass. Overall there were about 16 bellydancers as well. We got so many complements on our performance and on our costumes. It was amazing.

Hopefully I'll get copies of some photos soon so I can post them. As far as the video, I'm not allowed to post it, so if you want to see it, you'll just have to come visit me!!!!!!

After the show, we went straight to the afterparty, from which I had to leave straight for the airport to catch my 6 a.m. flight home. Needless to say I was beyond tired. Actually, I've yet to catch up. I made it home fine, and slept a lot of Sunday afternoon. Anyway, I'm glad that's over. There are a thousand other things demanding my attention now.

My job just moved way way way far away, which is hard to adjust to. Also, we've been getting a little more serious about the wedding planning. Just ordered some Bambu plates. They're awesome- google them.

That's all for now, though.

Mad love.

No comments: