Wednesday, August 18, 2010

on the beach and around the house

This past weekend, we headed out for a bit of ocean breeze. San Diego was wonderful as always, albeit a bit too cold for my taste. This weekend was dress rehearsal for Saguaro's big performance at Celebrate Dance at the end of this month. The girls looked fabulous in their costumes, designed and sewn by yours truly.

Our afternoon at the beach involved one too many jackets, but I sincerely appreciated the chance to dig my toes into the sand and listen to the waves. Saturday evening we partook of some absolutely mouthwatering *vegan* Ethiopian food. Oh yum. I now hope to learn how to cook these things, because I really loved them.

A weekend of dance, good food, oceans, and sleeping in a tent can never be bad. Especially if it's all with the love of your life and your best friend. Definitely a good weekend.

Sometimes, though, it's the little things at home that can make me as happy as a grand adventure. Perhaps I need to give more credit to these things. Perhaps they are worthy of a post every now and then.

Today, I am awaiting the arrival of my mom and my aunt for a greatly desired visit to the desert. In preparation, I'm cooking up some collard greens, pinto beans, and butter"milk" cornbread. I buy dry beans in bulk and cook them over hours- which is a nice way to enjoy an afternoon. You can't leave because the beans are on, so you have to take a deep breath, relax, and read a book, or sip a cup of tea, or sing to the plants. I usually cook the beans in vegetable stock, which we make when we have enough vegetable scraps or veggies that are on their way out. Recently I've started to add herbs to the stock. Things like echinacea and burdock root that are happy to simmer for an hour or two, releasing their medicinal properties along with the veggies and more conventional cooking herbs (sage, thyme, rosemary, oregano, fennel). I feel like this is a great way to get some extra "medicine." Not to mention a yummy stock. So now my pintos are beyond nutritional.


On a different note, I've been getting away from commercial body care products for a while now, but I've had lots of trouble finding a shampoo alternative. I've tried about 10 different homemade herbal shampoos, but they all involve a little bit of castille soap which is oily, and thus does not work on my oily hair. So I had been using Trader Joe's Tea Tree shampoo about once a week just to cut the grease. But the other day, I researched some alternative and found a great trick: Tea!! The tannins in tea will act as a grease cutter when sprayed onto your hair/ scalp. I spray it on, let it sit for a bit, and then rinse my hair out with water. Voila! My hair looks freshly washed. I'm super excited about this find. And, in my opinion, the best place to buy your tea (organic, fair trade, etc) is Mountain Rose Herbs. So, make yourself a pot of tea, drink a few cups, and spray the rest in your hair before a nice relaxing shower.


Now, it's time for lunch. I'm going to attempt a Japanese dish called Inari. My friend so kindly gave me her recipe, and went with me to the Asian market to find all the right ingredients. It is absolutely delicious, so I'll let you know if it works out.

Until then, Itadakimasu!

1 comment:

Allison said...

nice! hope you have a great time with your mom! and a little baking soda mixed with water to form a paste, then rubbed into the scalp once or twice a week also works!