Thursday, October 25, 2012

Under the Weather

It's cold and rainy here, and somewhat abruptly. That usually leads to sniffles and coughs. Both the families I work with are feeling a little under the weather. While I feel okay now, I do have a little scratch in the back of my throat, and my body isn't completely loving the vitamin C capsules I usually take at this point. It's craving something a little more... whole.

So I thought I'd share some DIY medicine.

First, a medicinal honey. I left the herbs in, but you can strain them out if you like.


You need
About 2 inches of ginger root, peeled and diced or grated
About 1/2 cup of rose hips
About 1/2 cup hibiscus flowers
4 TBSP local raw honey
Filtered water

Place the herbs in a saucepan and fill with enough water to cover the herbs generously. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover. Let simmer about 30 minutes. Add the honey and let simmer about 5 more minutes. Remove from heat. Take by the spoonful. If desired, strain out the herbs. Store in a glass jar.

Excellent immune booster, source of vitamin C, and throat soother.

Next, a vinegar cure.

You need
1 TBSP honey
1 TBSP raw apple cider vinegar
Boiling water

Add the boiling water to a glass with the honey and ACV. Let it dissolve, and drink. Preferably 2 times a day. Great immune booster.


And finally, rehydrate with fresh juice.

You need
2 carrots
2 apples
2 stalks celery
1 inch ginger, peeled
3 springs mint
slice of lemon




Run all but the lemon through the juicer. Squeeze lemon juice on top. This is an excellent source of electrolytes to help your body rehydrate when you're sick.

No comments: