Wednesday, November 7, 2012

One State Two State Red State Blue State

In light of yesterday's election, and the hordes and hordes of criticisms, complaints, discouragement, despair and other negativities, I wrote this:

Look, this country needs a lot of things, and no one man is capable of providing those things. Each of us must contribute- wake up, tap into compassion, confidence, wonder, and an open heart. Regardless of how you voted (or didn't) or how the results make you feel, make the most important decision for this world: the one that starts with yourself, your life, your speech, your actions. Know that you have an impact on every single person you encounter. It really does start with how two people treat one another, and ripples out from there.

I want to emphasize that there are plenty of people out here in the world who are actively trying to make this place better- not just for themselves, but for others. It's incredible that we can have this network of compassion and action. I want to send out words of encouragement- now most importantly. Let's stop lamenting, gloating, contending, dissenting, and drinking celebratory shots. The time is now. It's ripe. Let's wake up. It's your turn. Elect yourself.

In Gandhi's words, be the change you wish to see in the world.

4 comments:

Allison said...

preach girl ;) Also, I just read a Kornfield book for class. it was awesome.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Oh my gosh Leslie!! I LOVE that quote. It's always been one of my favs. I just found your blog this morning. May I be a follower??

~Keith

Leslie said...

Keith, welcome! Would love to have you here.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Then you shall have a new follower. Feel free to follow mine as well. Might be right up your alley.