Saturday, April 6, 2013

The Art of Sitting, The Practice of Staying, and A Request for Your Help

Some of the most profound teachings are also the simplest: Sit, Stay, Be. We are always trying to escape from and avoid reality. Silence scares us. A day with nothing in the planner gives us great anxiety. So we make lists, stay busy, think we are doing really important things. But we never just stop.

Sitting still is a practice. And not necessarily an easy one. Staying present with our experience is too. When things get uncomfortable we want to leave, physically or mentally.

My meditation practice, which has now been a daily thing for almost 2 years, has taught me so very much about staying and stopping and paying attention. This has opened up for me a heart full of compassion and awareness.

There is a practice called Dath√ľn, which is one month of intensive meditation. You can read all about it here. It's a way to connect and engage in a very deep way, focusing on being present in every activity.

Here's the thing- I'm going to go this summer. It both terrifies and thrills me. I know it will not be easy to sit with myself so much for so long. But I also know what smaller periods of sitting practice have opened up for me, and that's what thrills me. I want to be awake. I want to cultivate awareness and compassion in all I do.

I want to stress that this isn't solely for my own personal benefit. It is my belief that the more I practice, the more I have to offer. I bring these teachings to all the children and families I work with. I offer everything I know and have and experience. I serve to help others have the opportunity to touch awakenment. And I will continue to do this, expanding and offering wherever I can. Imagine, if everyone practiced awareness and compassion, how different our society would be.

This is where you come in: I can't pay for the program on my own. So I'm asking you to help me out. Even $5 or well-wishes make a HUGE difference. If you can help me, I would be profoundly grateful.

Here's the link where you can donate, and there's also more information about me and what exactly I'm doing. If you have questions about it all, please feel free to contact me.

With so much love and gratitude,
Leslie

No comments: